final rivals 250
On Tuesday, the Rivals top-250 final rankings were released, and 12 Penn State signees were featured. The biggest mover of the group was defensive tackle PJ Mustipher, who rocketed 57 spots up to No. 107 in the nation.
lions prowl on lloyd
It's a matter of when, not if, Penn State offers the nation's No. 9 prospect for the class of 2020, RB Marshawn Lloyd (Hyattsville, Md.). Sean Fitz of 247Sports noted that James Franklin and staff will soon move on the dynamic sophomore, even though he missed a majority of 2017 with a broken wrist. Expect Lloyd to be among the Lions' highest-priority players for 2020.
coaches on the road and offers fly
The Nittany Lions staff is showing love to prospects all over the country during this mad-dash open period before National Signing Day.
- Franklin and Terry Smith were in Charlotte, N.C., to check in on 2019 four-star CB Tyus Fields, among others according to Fitz.
- The Charlotte trip included an offer to Porter Rooks, an elite 2020 wide receiver.
- The Lions also offered the nation's No. 2 defensive tackle in the class of 2019, Hawaii's Faatui Tuitele. Tuitele boasts 22 Power 5 offers, and apparently loves old school Penn State defensive linemen.
- Brent Pry was in Ohio to check in at Olentangy Orange where 2019's No. 4 overall player Zach Harrison attends school. Pry wasn't alone, as Harrison's coach reported reps from Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Notre Dame also stopped by to visit his star pupil.
- Fitz reported that three Penn State signees will finally take their official visits to Penn State this weekend. Juice Scruggs and PJ Mustipher couldn't make it to campus back in early December when the rest of the class took their officials. Jahan Dotson wasn't even a committed prospect at the time.
- Penn State joined the fray for the the mountainous Paris Johnson Jr., a 6-7, 275lb sophomore out of St. Xavier in Cincinnati (Sean Clifford's alma mater). Johnson has offers from all over including, Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Michigan.
- While spending time in Cincinnati, Franklin and crew popped in to visit DT signee Aeneas Hawkins.
miner finds gold
Lions CB signee Jordan Miner had a stand-out performance at the International Bowl IX. The annual series of exhibitions pits high school stars from the United States against top prospects from around the world. For more, check out 247Sports Greg Powers' tweet and video.
Squeezed for scholarships, Penn State has turned to talented walk-ons for their kicking needs. The latest to join the specialist ranks is 2018 punter Cade Pollard (Boerne, Texas). You can read all about Pollard's decision here.
- Penn State going in-home with a top 2018 target [Wiltfong/247Sports]