With just one preseason game left before the NFL season starts on Thursday, Sept. 8, there are 36 former Penn Staters on rosters across the league. Many veterans are assured of being on the 53-man, but just as many players are fighting for jobs to continue their football careers. Final rosters must be trimmed from 75 to 53 players by 4 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 3. We breakdown the status of all 36 players.
- Deion Barnes - New York Jets
- Sam Ficken - Jacksonville Jaguars
Safe and sound
|adrian amos||Chicago Bears||Safety|
|navorro bowman||San Francisco 49ers||Linebacker|
|Jack crawford||Dallas Cowboys||Defensive Tackle|
|Robbie Gould||Chicago Bears||Kicker|
|Tamba hali||Kansas City Chiefs||Linebacker|
|Jesse James||Pittsburgh Steelers||Tight End|
|daquan jones||Tennessee Titans||Defensive Tackle|
|Sean lee||Dallas Cowboys||Linebacker|
|matt mcgloin||Oakland Raiders||Quarterback|
|carl Nassib||Cleveland Browns||Defensive End|
|Jared Odrick||Jacksonville Jaguars||Defensive End|
|paul posluszny||Jacksonville Jaguars||Linebacker|
|allen Robinson||Jacksonville Jaguars||Wide Receiver|
|a.q. Shipley||Arizona Cardinals||Center|
|DONOVAN SMITH||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||Offensive Tackle|
|devon still||Houston Texans||Defensive End|
|John Urschel||Baltimore Ravens||Offensive Guard|
|cameron wake||Miami Dolphins||Defensive End|
|stefen wisniewski||Philadelphia Eagles||Offensive Guard/Center|
|garry gilliam||Seattle Seahawks||Offensive Tackle|
|christian hackenberg||New York Jets||Quarterback|
|Jordan hill||Seattle Seahawks||Defensive Tackle|
|gerald Hodges||San Francisco 49ers||Linebacker|
|austin Johnson||Tennessee Titans||Defensive Tackle|
|michael mauti||New Orleans Saints||Linebacker|
|Jordan norwood||Denver Broncos||Wide Receiver|
|nate stupar||New Orleans Saints||Linebacker|
|Ross travis||Kansas City Chiefs||Tight End|
- I don't see any way the Jets cut ties with Hack this soon. They will likely either trade Geno Smith or Bryce Petty, or Hack will end up on season-long IR (though there are reports they may keep all four players). He's going to get lots of action in the preseason finale, as the Jets are sitting Ryan Fitzpatrick and Smith.
- I also don't think the Titans are going to cut AJ, but he's currently running 3rd team and apparently hasn't been all that impressive in camp.
- Hodges is in a battle with two other players to earn first team reps next to NaVorro Bowman.
- Mauti and Stupar are currently running as 2nd team linebackers for the Saints. Both have been career-long special teams contributors.
- Norwood is one of three players competing for the final two wide-out spots for the Broncos. I give him the nod based on experience.
- Travis continues to impress at Chiefs camp. The team loves 3 tight end looks, so expect him to get some run.
|tarow barney||New York Jets||Defensive Tackle|
|brad bars||New York Giants||Defensive End/Linebacker|
|kyle carter||Minnesota Vikings||Tight End|
|mike hull||Miami Dolphins||Linebacker|
|jordan lucas||Miami Dolphins||Cornerback|
|andrew Quarless||Detroit Lions||Tight End|
|Trevor Williams||San Diego Chargers||Cornerback|
|anthony Zettel||Detroit Lions||Defensive End/Tackle|
- Barney is currently running as the 3rd team defensive tackle for the Jets. I don't expect him to make the 53-man roster.
- Bars impressed the Giants enough to be activated to their roster for a few games last season. He's a guy without a true position, and it will probably hurt his chances to make the squad out of camp.
- Carter is listed as "Other" on the Vikings tight end depth chart.
- Hull spent most of last season inactive for the Dolphins, getting the call in just 3 games. While he's currently running 3rd team on their linebacker depth chart, I like his chances to stick since he is a versatile player that can contribute on special teams.
- Lucas is getting 3rd team reps for the Dolphins at cornerback. He's struggled a bit in camp and I don't expect the 6th-round pick to make the team.
- The Lions signed Quarless even though he's facing a 2-game suspension. Currently listed as "other" on the depth chart, I don't think he'll make the team, especially with Eric Ebron poised to return from injury.
- Williams was an un-drafted free agent signing by the Chargers, and is getting 3rd team reps. He has apparently flashed a bit in camp, but San Diego is deep at defensive back. He'll have a tough time making the roster.
- Zettel is also running 3rd team for the Lions at defensive end. He's consistently made plays, despite being a bit of a tweener on the line. I think this 6th-rounder makes Detroit's final 53.