I know you're reading Roar Lions Roar multiple times a day to prepare for the 2018 season, and it's likely you've read everything we published at least twice. BUT, if there's anything you missed, it's all right here. The Smorgasbord is back, baby.
New year, new gear
We're excited, you're excited, EVERYONE IS EXCITED FOR FOOTBALL. Class up your fall wardrobe with a luxurious Our State shirt, or run through brick walls wearing our new THAT Game shirt (order by 9/1 to guarantee delivery by gameday!).
penn state news
- Manny Bowen is BACK...er, not exactly. At least he left on his terms.
- Senior DE Torrence Brown retired, unable to return from a knee injury. Junior DE Ryan Buchholz hung them up with a chronic back issue. For redshirt sophomore QB Jake Zembiec, it was a chronic shoulder problem. Freshman CB Jordan Miner and freshman OT Nana Asiedu were found to have heart issues. Redshirt freshman DE Brailyn Franklin also left the program.
- Penn State opens 2018 ranked in the top-10, again. AP/Coaches
- James Franklin was named "Most Overrated" by some of his piers. [Thinking-face emoji]
- The Big Ten released future conference slates through 2025, and Penn State announced some...just fine games for 2021 through 2027. There's also some scuttle about matching up with the Longhorns.
- Seven freshmen are set to see extended time this season, and others could be in the mix...
- ...Including WR Jahan Dotson, who was the camp Touchdown King. Senior CB Amani Oruwariye was camp's Takeaway King.
- Matt Flip broke down the Nittany Lions' first depth chart of the year.
- It looks like Chasz Wright will get the nod at RT, and the starting TE job is a toss up.
- Trace McSorley leads a loaded QB room. Will he break all the records? (Yes)
- Miles Sanders takes over for a legend, what can we expect from the first-year starter?
- Penn State's all-time leading receiver is also gone. Who fills the void and what kind of season is Juwan Johnson looking for?
- Tight end is a huge wild card now that Mike Gesicki has graduated. Do the Lions need "a guy" or just TE by committee?
- Is this finally the year the offensive line plants people on their behinds? How does the Lion line compare to other B1G stalwarts?
- The defensive line seems kinda loaded at end, but there are questions in the middle. What will Sean Spencer's rotation look like?
- LBU has talent and hype waiting in the wings. Penn State is screwed at middle linebacker, right? Maybe!
- Even with the entire secondary graduating, the cornerback unit is rock-solid. We're not so certain about the safeties, where Brent Pry needs production from a handful of inexperienced players.
- Blake Gillikin in the bestest punting boy, and DeaAndre Thompkins is lethal as a punt returner, but there are still many question marks in the Nittany Lion kicking game.
pump, pump, pump it up
- McSorley is getting Heisman buzz from here, and here, is on the watch list for just about every single QB award that exists, and is a pre-season All-American.
- Kirk Herbstreit friggin loves Penn State.
- Charlie Shuman is an awesome Penn Stater. Watch him find out he's on scholarship.
- Franklin took the team to play paintball...it didn't end well for him.
- Juwan Johnson takes BTN through his post-practice routine.
- The BTN crew visited practice and the creamery. They spoke with McSorley, Franklin, and Pry.
- The Letterman's Wall has a bunch of new names on it.
Just a little bit of knowledge to wet your pre-season whistle.
- Appalachian State visits Beaver Stadium for the first time ever.
- The Golden Flashes are here for the $.
- Illinois? On a Friday?
- OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG! WHITEOUT!
- Lions seek comeuppance against Sparty.
- Bloomington ain't the same without Dicky Lagow.
- Can Iowa challenge in the West?
- The Big House of Horrors for Penn State
- Bucky rollin' thick into Happy Valley
- Rutgera, Rutger, Rutgersal
- The Terrapin Dilemma