We're still months away from the start of fall camp, so what do bored college football writers do to fill the void? At the Sporting News, they do a preseason projection for every 2018-19 bowl game, because why not? Three and a half months before kickoff, they project Penn State and Auburn to meet in Orlando for the Citrus Bowl on New Year's Day.
— Sporting News (@sportingnews) May 16, 2018
In a way, it's not only a projection on where teams will play a postseason game, but also their picks for conference hierarchy. Penn State fans probably won't like the results, as Ohio State is once again projected for the College Football Playoff, and Wisconsin and Michigan are picked for NY6 bowl games. In total, 10 Big Ten teams are projected to go bowling, which is probably the absolute ceiling for the conference.
James Franklin's squad is seeking double-digit wins for the third straight season, something that hasn't been done at Penn State since 1980-82.
Notable bowl projections:
- Citrus Bowl - Jan. 1 - Penn State vs. Auburn
- Sugar Bowl - Jan. 1 - TCU vs. Georgia (NY6)
- Rose Bowl - Jan.1 - Wisconsin vs. Washington (NY6)
- Fiesta Bowl - Jan. 1 - UCF vs. Stanford (NY6)
- Outback Bowl - Jan. 1 - Michigan State vs. South Carolina
- Peach Bowl - Dec. 29 - Miami vs. Michigan (NY6)
- Orange Bowl - Dec. 29 - Oklahoma vs. Alabama (CFP)
- Cotton Bowl - Dec. 29 - Ohio State vs. Clemson (CFP)
- Foster Farms Bowl - Dec. 27 - Nebraska vs. Arizona
- Pinstripe Bowl - Dec. 27 - Louisville vs. Purdue
- Quick Lane Bowl - Dec. 26 - Wake Forest vs. Minnesota
- Heart of Dallas Bowl - Dec. 26 - UAB vs. Iowa
- Holiday Bowl - TBD - Northwestern vs. USC