Bye weeks are great for about ten days, but then it starts to drag. As you get older, a hangover takes a little longer to shake, and after the Ohio State game, the recovery was the equivalent of a 40-year old pretending they were 21 again. In case you were just too busy/depressed, it was a pretty active week despite the bye. In addition to the football team preparing for Sparty, the men's basketball team had media day in Chicago, and the puck dropped on the hockey season. Here's the Roar Lions Roar week in review.
Football - Homecoming vs. Michigan State
- Snap counts from the Ohio State game shed some light on a tired defense.
- Penn State opened as a 14.5 favorite vs. Michigan State.
- We took a look at the freshman making an early impact in 2018.
- The weekly depth chart was released, and Pat Freiermuth is now starting at tight end.
- Shane Simmons is back, which should have a big impact on the defense.
- KJ Hamler is also back, along with some other injury news.
- Last year, Michigan State quarterback Brian Lewerke was a real Lejerke when they beat Penn State. The Lions must slow him down to avoid another upset.
- The deep dive into the Michigan State offense and defense ended up being a rather shallow pool.
- The hangover mentioned above got a prescription.
- Penn State opened practice to the media and this is what was gathered.
- The RLR staff held a roundtable via the internet.
- After diving into Michigan State's advanced stats, a few weaknesses appeared ripe for attack.
- The only stat that really matters is the Land Grant Trophy, and we provided instructions on how to build one on your own.
- No recap would be complete without and actual game preview.
- If that preview wasn't enough, Bill hosted the podcast with guest Chris Vannini from The Athletic on to discuss all things Land Grant.
Other Football Musings
- James Franklin announced a new tradition of a Homecoming lettermen bus.
- Joe had some disparaging thoughts on Mark Dantonio.
- Former Penn State All-American Michael Mauti will serve as an honorary captain.
- Saquon Barkley remains really good at football.
- Our weekly recap of Penn State players in the NFL.
Hockey Valley Season upon us
- Penn State coach Guy Gadowsky discussed expectations for the 2018-19 Nittany Lions.
- A preview of the forwards and how they would look in the post-Andrew Strutrz era.
- Defense wins championships? Let's hope not.
- We went between the pipes to preview the goaltenders.
- Penn State opened with No. 17 Clarkson and after winning game one, the brought out the brooms to complete the two-game sweep.
- Big man Satchel Pierce will miss the first part of the season due to academic issues.
- Former Penn State guard Shep Garner will take a shot at the professional level after signing with the Detroit Pistons G-League team.
- Big Ten media days is a sure sign of autumn. Pat Chambers, Josh Reaves and Lamar Stevens went to Chicago for Big Ten Media day.
The leaves are changing at a fast pace and despite a hot beginning of the week, it's time to start planning for Halloween and even iron out those Thanksgiving plans. The smell of Homecoming is in the air. On behalf of everyone here at Roar Lions Roar, we thank you for visiting.