The Nittany Lions were out on the practice field on a cold night in Happy Valley. Here our are takeaways from this week's open media practice ahead of Saturday's game at Rutgers.
- Ryan Bates ran with the ones at right tackle, with Will Fries at left. We saw this switch take place last week and it appears that will continue.
- DeAndre Thompkins, Jahan Dotson, and KJ Hamler got the majority of snaps with the ones. They all started against Wisconsin.
- Juwan Johnson again was dressed but did not practice.
- The Nittany Lions ran a two-back set with Journey Brown and Miles Sanders.
- James Franklin said he expects Trent Gordon and Justin Shorter to play this week, meaning Shorter will have one game remaining to preserve his redshirt and Gordon's redshirt is already confirmed with three games left to play. He also teased the appearance of Rasheed Walker.
Freshman defensive end Jayson Oweh has gotten rave reviews from coaches and players alike. Being one of the guys who spend the most time around him, Shareef Miller sees a bright future for Oweh.
"He's doing real well. Jayson Oweh, he's going to be real great here at Penn State. He (has) everything. He's a young guy, still got to learn how to play college football but guys like me, Shaka (Toney), Yetur (Gross-Matos) we like helping him along the way."
With a quarterback competition on the horizon, freshman quarterback Will Levis can be seen as somewhat of a forgotten man. While a decision on 2019's signal caller is still months away, James Franklin has been impressed with Levis in his redshirt season.
"He's very, very talented physically. Coach Galt talks about him all the team as one of the more explosive athletes that we have in our program. He's got a very strong arm. I think he's been frustrated by the redshirt process like a lot of them are...Overall, the things that he can control which is what we talk about all the time, he's doing an unbelievable job."
Penn State has the potential to bring back every rotation player from this defensive line next season. That prospect has Shareef Miller exected about the future of the unit.
"The future is bright here for us, especially the defensive line. We're seeing multiple guys make plays, multiple guys like grow up and mature. Like Rob Windsor is coming into his own, Yetur, Shaka, guys like that."