Penn State wasted no time getting on the board against Ball State, racing out to a 14-0 lead. and looking in control for pretty much the entire half.
Here are some halftime thoughts as the Nittany Lions take a 24-6 lead into the break.
- Mike Yurcich’s up-tempo offense was in full force on Penn State’s first two drives.
- Outside of the two Ball State scoring drives, the Penn State defense picked up where it left off, putting on a clinic on most of the Cardinals’ possessions. Even on the lengthier drives, the unit showed its mettle in the red zone, holding the visitors to just two field goals.
- Ball State’s touted receiving tandem of Justin Hall and Yo’Heinz Tyler have been nearly non-factors.The duo has seven catches, but just 43 yards.
- Sean Clifford looks like a man on a mission, making the right plays through the air and on the ground. He has not been perfect, but he's protected the balls, and taken the plays that are there.
- Noah Cain is special and has shown it again today, but Keyvone Lee has made an impact as well. Both have also been involved in the receiving game.
- Nine different receivers have caught a pass so far, including converted cornerback Marquis Wilson, and reserve Cameron Sullivan-Brown hauling in their first receptions of the year. Wilson's was his first career .offensive reception.
- No issues for Jordan Stout with three made extra points and a field goal. He has remained excellent on kickoffs. He even blasted one into the north end zone seats.
After a stellar 30 minutes of football, Penn State is another 30 away from a 2-0 start.