It's been quite a year.
Thanks for supporting Roar Lions Roar as we enter our second year of existence. We...we picked a pretty good year to start a Penn State sports site. However, it hasn't all been box scores, depth charts, and snap counts. It got weird around here. Really weird. Here are some of our favorite moments from Year One:
- As a new site, we thought it would be good to ask established experts about Penn State's upcoming 2016 season. Curt Schilling, Dick Vitale, a bunch of rappers, and Salvador Perez...weren't exactly helpful.
- Penn State football started 2016 fall training camp in scandalous fashion, neglecting to tip a Jimmy John's employee on a large order for the program. We threw ourselves into the Twitter crossfire.
- Which collection of opposing fans had the absolute trashiest takes? Pitt fans, obviously, but we sent our Tom Kelly to the most vile message boards to find the worst opinions imaginable. RIP, Tom.
- We had a little fun with Pat Narduzzi, Pitt's capable but odd head coach isn't the most eloquent bloke, so we played "Pat Narduzzi or LinkedIn meme?" He instituted a media blackout prior to the Penn State game and Pittsburgh media fumed. Then we broke the internet with the creation of PURDUZZI. We love you anyway, Pittsburgh.
- Speaking of Purdue, they broke out all the tricks in the first half against Penn State. It...it didn't work.
- Some people complain that blogs like ours don't do enough film review. Challenge accepted!
- Rutgers posted its vacant offensive coordinator position online. We applied. Still waiting to hear from you and your odd facial expressions, Coach Ash. Maybe try a hypnogician?
- As kicker Joey Julius became notorious for his crushing tackles on kickoff coverage, we wondered what other teams could do to stop him.
- We applied our vast football knowledge to break down the biggest play of Penn State's season -- the 18-or-whatever-yard field goal at Michigan that cut the Wolverines' lead to 25. Jim Harbaugh's depth chart shenanigans were more effective than we imagined but Michigan fans continue to be humorless buzzkills.
- jajajajajajaja butterfingers! We kind of translated the Spanish call of PSU's iconic blocked field goal return against Ohio State.
- We met a new friend after the Ohio State game, Phish-loving FZappa20, who provided the world with a gorgeous YouTube meltdown as the final seconds elapsed in Happy Valley.
- Those lame Penn State bank buttons? We improved them.
- We provided you with a front-row seat as Penn State Twitter roasted the official Pitt football account.
- The PSU football team knocked out the Mannequin Challenge and we fell in love with Nick Scott.
- We lamented the demise of Vine with our 13 favorite Penn State vines.
- Some honk from the New York Daily News criticized Christian Hackenberg because...his receiver gave zero effort to run a proper route? We jumped into action.
- As Penn State's momentum built after the Ohio State game, James Franklin famously tried to keep his team on task for its next opponent. Our preview of Indiana followed suit.
- The ladies of Twitter got thirsty.
- Our guy Evil James Franklin brought his 'Twas The Night Before Christmas tradition to RLR.
- Penn State fans prepared for the Big Ten Championship Game the same way their parents and grandparents did -- by launching themselves off an RV into the worst trust fall ever.
- Local hero Joe Moorhead dunked on his Twitter trolls.
- Finally, Lamont Wade became our favorite player in Penn State history before even setting foot on campus as a student.
Yes, yes, it's been a year. Thanks for your support and spreading the word about Roar Lions Roar. You can still follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook if you want that fancy RLR content as soon as it hits the site. Oh, and if you really love us but don't have anything interesting to wear, please hit up Store Lions Store for our ever-expanding collection of the softest, most unique gear.