Betting the Big Ten (Week Three): Can Northwestern and Indiana Keep the Good Times Rolling?

By Nick Polak on November 6, 2020 at 1:43 pm
0 Comments

Welcome back to Betting the B1G, presented by Roar Lions Roar. Each week, we will provide our picks against the spread. One of those picks will be our "B1G P1CK" which is the pick we feel most confident about each week. We'll also track our yearly stats to give you a good idea of whether or not you should trust our picks. Finally, be sure to enter your own picks to get started in our season-long contest to pick someone to win a free Roar Lions Roar t-shirt!

Last Week

Betting the B1G: Week Two
Game Result Spread Nick Matt
Maryland 45, Minnesota 44 (OT) Minnesota (-20) Minny MInny
Ohio State 38, Penn state 25 Ohio State (-12) PSU PSU
Michigan State 27, Michigan 24 Michigan (-24.5) MSU Michigan
Indiana 37, Rutgers 21 Indiana (-10.5) RU RU
Purdue 31, Illinois 24 Purdue (-7) Illinois Illinois
Northwestern 21, Iowa 20 Iowa (-2.5) NW NW
Week 2 Total   2-3-1 1-4-1
Season Total   6-6-1 5-7-1

Picking Week Two is always tough. We don't really know anything more than did in Week One, but we think that we do because we've seen a week's worth of games. The bottom line is that both Nick and Matt fell into the trap that is Week Two and came out with subpar sets of picks. Oh well.

Week Three

Read below to see a quick synopsis of our picks for each game. If you want the full story behind each selection, check out the video at the top of this post.

No. 23 Michigan (-3.5) at No. 13 Indiana, November 7 (12:00 pm)

Nick: I think Michigan is better than they showed against Sparty, but I also think Indiana has quickly become wildly overrated, which makes this game tough to pick. I think the Hoosiers are coming back down to Earth soon, but they have enough in them to keep this close enough to cover. Michigan 31, Indiana 28 (+3.5)

Flip: Gimme those 3-0 Hoosiers, baby. I was thoroughly unimpressed by Michigan, so give me Indiana at home to stay tied for the division lead. Indiana 24 (+3.5), Michigan 20

Nebraska (-3.5) at Northwestern, November 7 (12:00 pm)

Nick: I know Nebraska played not terribly in the first half against Ohio State in Week One and I know they've had extra rest time, but why in the world are they favored on the road against a Wildcats team that has looked solid?! Northwestern 24 (+3.5), Nebraska 17

Flip: I like my Wildcats like I like my Hoosiers, undefeated. This line doesn't make any sense to me, give me Peyton Ramsey and Northwestern to keep rolling. Northwestern 31 (+3.5), Nebraska 14

Michigan State at Iowa (-6.5), November 7 (12:00 pm)

Nick: Just like I think Michigan is better than they were last week, I don't think Sparty is good enough to beat top-25 caliber teams every week. Of course, I don't really like anything about Iowa this year. This game will just be a dollar-store version of their Big Ten Championship clash back in 2015, with the Hawkeyes barely winning but Michigan State easily covering. Iowa 24, Michigan State 20 (+6.5)

Flip: If it were anyone else, I would almost certainly pick Sparty to not cover here in a huge letdown spot after last week. But Iowa isn't good enough to pull away from anyone, so give me the Spartans to cover. Iowa 24, Michigan State 21 (+6.5)

Maryland at Penn State (-25)

Nick: It's a get-right week for Penn State. I saw enough from the offense in the second half against Ohio State to make me believe that the team is inches away from busting out. And who better to do that against than the team they've thrown around like a rag doll for the last five years? Penn State 48 (-25), Maryland 17

Flip: I love the Nittany Lions here, I think Clifford and Ciarrocca really started to meet in the middle in the second half last week, and I think Penn State is going to come out and just obliterate the Terps. Penn State 66 (-25), Maryland 7

Minnesota (-7) at Illinois, November 7 (3:30 pm)

Nick: I HATE that I'm picking Minnesota here, but I just don't think Illinois is good enough to take full advantage of a terrible Gopher defense without starting quarterback Brandon Peters. Minnesota 31 (-7), Illinois 23

Flip: I know that the Illini are missing Peters, but I just don't think he's that integral to their offense. This Minnesota team is crumbling and I see Illinois taking it to them. Illinois 35 (+7), Minnesota 17

Rutgers at No. 3 Ohio State (-37), November 7 (7:30 pm)

Nick: I'm going to do something incredibly stupid and predict a push here. The way I pick these games is that I make my score prediction before looking at the line and then see where I end up. And this week I happened to end up on an exact score difference of 37 points. I could push it one way or the other, but why change when I feel confident? Ohio State 51, Rutgers 14 (push)

Matt: Nick is an idiot, and I'm going to do a much more sensible thing and actually make a pick here. I think Ohio State is really good, but I also think Isaih Pacheco is really good and will be able to find enough holes on the ground. Give me Rutgers with the late, back-door cover. Ohio State 55, Rutgers 28 (+37)

B1G P1CK

Nick: Michigan State +6.5
Flip: Northwestern +3.3

Community Picks

Our season-long betting contest continues! If you fill out the google form below and include your RLR username, you will be entered into a contest to win a free t-shirt from our Roar Lions Roar store (while supplies last*). The winner at the end of the season will be the individual who chooses the highest number of correct games, so you'll give yourself the best chance to win by playing every week. If you are not registered for an account on RLR, you will not be entered into the contest. Good luck!

*Due to limited inventory, we cannot guarantee that your desired shirt in your desired size will be available at the end of the regular season. In the event that the shirt you want is unavailable, you will have the option to wait for us to re-stock that specific design or choose any new design that we release.

0 Comments